Illuminated Book Ledger Workshop
Saturday (9:30 am) 06/05/21 to Sunday (4:30 pm) 06/06/21
Saturday & Sunday | Includes some materials | Instructor Helen Shafer Garcia | Register by June 2
Fallbrook School of the Arts
310 E. Alvarado St., Fallbrook, CA 92028
(760) 728-6383 | email
In Historic Downtown Fallbrook
What if you combined a ledger book style with Illuminated pages? How extraordinary! Join Artist Instructor Helen Garcia to explore this unique, uncommon combination for an extraordinary book arts project. This workshop brings together text and original handwritten calligraphy ledger pages with added color pencil organic oddities. Begin painting with patina paint methods to prepare the pages, and you’ll receive a handmade illustrated hard cover to bind your book. The next day, you’ll learn how to illuminate and create unexpected imagery onto the book’s pages using colored pencils, gold leaf, image transfers and stamps. Images will be available to copy and transfer, too, with an emphasis on the art of blending colors and layering to create depth and color saturation. You’ll learn how to apply gold leaf, paint layers with acrylic patterns and stencil designs for a gilded aged look. Book construction will utilize a simple long stitch along the spine of the book. There will be a ½ hr lunch break and a refrigerator is available for a sack lunch and beverage.
Some materials included: Masa paper, Canson Edition Paper, canvas, waxed linen threads, cover image, acrylic paints, sponges, 4 antique ledger pages, decorative cording, gold and silver leaf papers, glues, and ephemera.
Materials to Bring:
- At least 8 pages from an old ledger book with handwriting on pages if possible (4 pgs are provided). Ebay is a great place to buy old ledger pages. Type in "old ledger" under search. If you run out of time, there will be pages for sale in class.
- Brushes: 1” or larger flat acrylic brush for adhesives and acrylics
- Faber-Castell pit India Ink pen: Black F(fine)
- Misc: Apron, heat gun or hairdryer, burnishing tool or old credit card, bone folder, 1 bookbinding needle, water container and #2b soft pencil and soft eraser
- Acrylic Matt Medium
- Set of 24+ with black and white, wax-based (not water soluble) pencils: Caran d’ Ache Luminance, Faber Castell Polychromos or Premier Prismacolor Pencils
June 5 and 6, 2021 (Saturday & Sunday), 9:30 am - 4:00 pm, with a half-hour lunch break
$220, includes some materials.
For all skill levels
Please note: Due to COVID-19, masks are required by everyone at all times while at the Fallbrook School of the Arts. We thank you in advance for helping to keep everyone safe!
- Age Group(s):
- All Skill Levels
- Mixed Media